18 Principles of Engagement, created by Sensory Logic
1. Always have a personality—we buy from whom we like, and zero-personality is a non-starter.
2. Relevancy drives connection—motivation depends on sparking emotion; indeed, the two words are intimately related.
3. Make it memorable—emotions don’t just spark a call-to-action, they spark recall, too.
4. Keep it believable—trust is still the emotion of business.
5. Guard against bald spots—what’s flat or dull kills momentum, encouraging listeners to turn away.
THE OTHER 13 PRINCIPLES AND RELATION TO THE TOP 5
Always have a personality
a.) Mirror the values of the listener
b.) Be sensitive to the gender gap
Relevancy drives connection
a.) Keep it close to home
b.) Provide a sense of membership
Make it memorable
a.) 3-second rule
b.) Always sell hope
c.) Paint a mental picture
d.) Create suspense
e.) Tell a story
Keep it believable
a.) Promote intimacy (don’t shout)
b.) Branded solution as hero
Guard against bald spots
a.) Vary pace and intonation
b.) Don’t lead with price